Jeremy got home after being in Italy all week and we turned around and made a quick get-away to Prague, the capitol of Czech, this weekend. Since the fall of the iron curtain this bohemian city has been a popular tourist destination and was on our top 10 places to see when we found out we were moving to Europe.
We both agreed that Prague definitely had a very different, unique feel to it. So many interesting things to see here. We were actually only in the City for about 6 hours, not nearly enough time to see it all. However, we were able to see some of the top attractions. We left the kids at home with Alyse so all of our pictures seem quite boring without any cute little kids in them. Jeremy is not nearly as good of a model for me as the kids are!
Old Town
Franz Kafka Square - 85,741 keys make up the word "Revoluce" (Revolution). The keys were collected by people all over Czech to remember the Velvet Revolution that toppled the Communist regime out of the country.
Old Town square and the Gothic Church of our Lady in the background. This is where we had lunch. It was great for people watching. You can also see some of the Easter Markets here.
7 people would ride these bikes with drinks in the middle and seemed to be having a great time! Right in front of us at lunch one of the bikes ran over a pedestrian! The Policia even showed up. It was quite exciting.Here is a video of the clock right at 2:oopm
New Town
The Coat of Conscience (or The Empty Coat). A famous sculture by Anna Chromy outside the Estates Theater where Mozarts' Don Giovani was first premiered in 1787.
Municipal House. The independence of Czechoslovakia was claimed here in 1918.
We had to go in, just for a minute!
The Ghetto
There are over 100,000 bodies buried in this very small peice of land. They had to pile the bodies on top of each other. This was a very somber part of the trip. It was Saturday, the Jewish day of worship, so we couldn't go inside.
Well, I know that was a really long post and maybe a little boring for some of you. But, it was a great trip for us and one that I don't want to forget. It's nice to be able to go somewhere like this and learn so much all in just a day! Where can you do that in the US??
2 comments:
I'm impressed you knew so much history about the town. Prague is probably one of, if not my favorite places in europe. I only have been one time and it too was a quick trip during November (so very cold). I loved all the architecture EVERYWHERE. So impressive. But because it was a last minute trip I didn't have anything to tell me about it. Many of the things you posted about I had no idea when it was built, stories behind it, etc. I THOROUGHLY enjoyed reading your post. And we did visit the Prague Castle. Definitely a must if you ever go back. Looks you guys had fun. I can't wait to go back and will definitely visit some of the places we weren't able to last time.
It was not it the least boring, but verrrrry interesting. Who knew so much history was in this country that we know so little about. What an experience. I want to go there now. Love you, Mom
Post a Comment