Sunday, May 16, 2010

W12 of Y2



Jeremy's brother, Brian and his wife Abby came to visit! It was so fun to see them and to get to know Abby better.


We took off Saturday for Luxembourg. We wanted to see the WWII museum and the American Cemetery there.
Whitney was pretty much glued to Brian or Abby all weekend. She loves both of them so much!

We made our way to the Museum first.

German, Luxembourg, and American flags


I was surprised at how much WWII stuff they had in this museum. It was a pretty large building.
Of course the kids lost interest after 10 minutes and started using tanks as a jungle gym... so we had to hurry through it.

We told the kids the history of the Battle of the Bulge on the way there so it made it a lot more meaningful.

I loved this!

Outside there was an old US jeep. Jeremy was looking at it and practically climbed inside as he was looking at the maps in the seats, etc... when this man came out of the museum, took his keys out, started the jeep and drove away! HA HA!

We stopped for some lunch at Cafe du Luxembourg.

And took a little break.


We drove another 45 minutes or so to the American Cemetery


There were over 75,000 Americans that died here within a month and a half! Over 5,000 of them are buried here. The cemetery was beautiful!

I was so proud of my country as I walked through the cemetery and saw the monuments.

Some of those buried were unknown


The stars represented the Jewish Soldiers.


General Patton was also buried here. The installation where I work (Patton Barracks) is named after him. I was impressed that those were fresh roses!




After visiting Anne Frank's house last week and seeing that perspective and then seeing the museum and then the cemetery, I think the boys were even impressed after putting it all together.


Soon we were back on the road to get home in time for dinner... Taco Salad.

It was a great day!

2 comments:

Cami said...

Nice pictures! That is the nicest cemetery I have ever seen. The wall of names is very impressive! Holy Cow! Is Whitney going potty in the van though? Weeeiiirrrddd!! ;)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WHIT-BIT!!!!!! I LOVE & MISS YOU!!!

~ Cami

Rachel said...

That would be so incredible. Looks beautiful.