First stop: Wien (Vienna)
Wow! This city is amazing! So much to see and so little time... especially with 3 kids in tow whose little legs just don't run as fast. I decided you really need a minimum of 3 days in this city to really appreciate everything there is to see here. But, we hit a lot of the main sites and had a great day! A little side note that wasn't so great though... Jeremy accidently booked a 6-bed hostel instead of a hotel for us. 6 bunk beds for 6 people (including our aupair!). The kids thought it was awesome though that we all got to sleep in bunk beds in the same room. lol! They also had some type of a Nazi vs. Muslim protest going on downtown... there were a lot of polizei there and everything seemed peaceful enough but it was not the highlight of the day. The highlight of Vienna for me was dinner and the orchestra/opera at the Schönbrunn Palace. The music was Mozart and Strauss who both used to play here. It was magnificent! We also enjoyed the hop-on, hop-off bus tours (after we finally figured out how they work!)
Second Stop: Salzburg
Jeremy did MUCH better on the hotel in Salzburg!!! It's hard trying to figure out where to stay and what the hotels are like over here. It's usually all done online and in another language to it's not really clear what you're getting. You can't always tell by price either. One night at the hotel in Salburg for 2 huge rooms (our aupair had her own room and all 5 of us fit in 1!) cost the same night at one room with 6 bunk beds in Vienna. You just never know what you're going to get. The boys loved the jacuzzi tub with color changing lights, the free breakfast was all organic and really good, and we had a swimming pool to ourselves during our stay. Daddy did good! :)
Other highlights of Salzburg... our hotel was in a great location. A short 10-15 minute walk and we were downtown. There just so happened to be a fest going on the day we were there so that was lots of fun! We also toured the Hohensalzburg Fortress. It has a very interesting history and the boys loved seeing the torture chamber and dungeon, and walking through the catacombs and cemetery. It was interesting to learn about how salt allowed these people to survive from ever being seiged since it preserved their food for so long. Jeremy and I enjoyed an interesting and hilarious dinner at a very locals-only type "restaurant". It is in an old Monestary and wasn't exactly like any restuarant that I've ever been too. We sat at the same table with some Austrian men and had so much fun talking with them for hours. By the end of the night we were all friends!
Last stop: Hallstat and the Salzkammergut Lakes
Oh. My. Gosh. That is all I can say about this place. This was an unexpected "side trip" that we decided to do at the last minute. It is just 45 minutes outside of Salzburg and we read about the salt mine tour here so that was the reason we made the drive. However, after getting there we found out that Whitney couldn't go (only 4 and up) and the tour was a minimum of 4 hours and we still had to drive home. It was ok though - this was my absolute favorite part of our entire trip! This is what I think of when I think of Austria and the Alps (vs. big cities), it was more "sound of music"-ish. We had to pull over several times along the way because the drive was so breathtaking. I was worried we would actually get into an accident! The history for this area dates back 4500 years ago! We drove through the Alps and past many charming villages and lakes until we reached Hallstat. We had a quick lunch and shopped for some souvenirs and then it was time to head back home.
I have to say that I think we really lucked out with the weather. It was beautiful, perfect weather every single day. Blue skies and sunny but a nice, cool breeze. I think it was in the upper 60's the whole time. This has to be the best time of year to visit Austria with the trees changing colors. It was just so unreal how beautiful everything was. I really had to hold myself back from taking too many pictures and not posting ALL Of them! Of course, you can never truly capture the beauty with the camera anyway... I know I will never forget it though!
4 comments:
Amy! Great pictures! I stayed 3 days in Vienna and I think you could easily spend a week there and not see everything. Such an amazing place.
Hope all is well and that we get a chance to chat in the near future. I'll be back at AWC the 15th of November.
=)
What an awesome trip Amy! I would love to be able to go there. I loved your tall boots. Mom
Hi Amy! Sorry I won't see you next week. Your little guy is soooo cute! Rich is anxiously wating for your return on the 15th! Let's do lunch after you get back. :)
Amy
Gosh, you took up the whole entire first page of your blog! I loved looking at all your pics though. But I have to admit, I HATE the new way that you are blogging. I know it's easier on Jeremy to write before and after the posts, but I don't know what some stuff is! And what you are trying to capture sometimes! :( Alright, I'll shut up about that. I LOVE the picture of the 3 kids all staring up at Christ on the cross. And the one of the reflection of the steeple in the window. All the buildings were so magnificent! Either huge or really old! I'm so jealous of you!!!! Waaa Haaa!!!!!!!! I hope your kids are soaking all of this in!!! 'Cuz they are being spoiled! When they get back to the states it will all be down hill for them! ;) Okay, I'll shut up. I love your post!
Post a Comment