
I thought I would write about the traffic here... A Stau is a Traffic Jam on the Autobahn. One day this week I was driving to Stuttgart. I left my house at 6am to avoid traffic. At 7:20am, I was 3.5 miles from my exit into Stuttgart, when traffic completely stopped. 6 cars ahead of me a Semi-Truck over turned and was completely blocking the entire Autobahn. After an hour the firemen came around to each car and instructed everyone to turn their engines off and not to smoke. It was a really cold day and was raining hard all morning. Around 9am I finally found someone walking by that spoke English... he had talked to the firemen who said it would be a minimum of 3 more hours!!! Finally a little after 11am they realized that it was going to take longer than that so the firemen and policemen went to the very back of the line and directed each car, one by one, to back up and turn around going the opposite way on the autobahn. When they got to me I could barely drive because I was shivering so bad from freezing the last 5 hours and also because all the windows were fogged up so I couldn't see. There were 5 rows of cars on a 3-lane autobahn so we were all jammed in tight. Everyone was yelling at me in German and blowing their whistles. It was really scary! Finally 5 1/2 hours later I got to my office and could use the bathroom!!!! I spent 30 minutes there and then just had to turn around and drive back.
The boys were out of school half day on Thursday and all day Friday. It's been getting cold here too so they were all going crazy from being inside for so long. Friday night we decided to go out for pizza and some bowling. We had so much fun!!
Like I said... it's been getting cold here. The highs have been in the low to mid 40's and rainy. So, we've been spending more time indoors. I caught the kids playing really cute this weekend.
2 comments:
What a horrible experience on the autobahn. You need to equip yourself with an 72 hour kit for the car, and don't forget a blanket and snack foods. Is there such a thing as a car toilet too? haha Love you Mom
Hi Amy, you commented on my blog a couple of weeks ago and I commented back but didn't know if you saw it. Anyway, email me if you want to talk a bit. dchrisvilla@hotmail.com. Your blog is super cute!
Post a Comment